Friday, February 4, 2011

Your Voice

Studies show that HOW we say things is four times more powerful than WHAT we say.
7% is what we say
38% is how we say it
55% is non-verbal
I am blessed with a unique voice. People know me by my voice it is a big part of who and what I am. My voice has evolved and been remade many times over the years. I was born in Cork City Ireland. The Cork accent is lilting up and down melodic and full of colloquiums. It's easy on the ear but difficult for non Corkonians to understand. My parents, no correction my Mother and Grandmother enrolled me in singing drama and elocution classes. They did not want me to sound ‘common’. I went to school in London and returned in 94 spending a total of 14 years in England. This changed the tone and pitch and made me aware of the power of the voice. Add on the Americanization and I have the voice I have today.
Now I can change this voice at will and do regularly depending on who I’m talking to. When I’m in Ireland you’d never think I left her shores. At home and with friends I have my conversational voice. It’s Americanized Irish and has been strongly influenced by my husband Jeff who’s from Michigan.  I turn on the English influence if I want to sound smart or posh. When I teach my fitness classes I tend to speak slower, and use fewer words, mixed with non-verbal cues. I think that works best for me. I would say people wouldn’t need to see me to know who was teaching. 
Margaret Thatcher took elocution lessons for years and managed to lower her pitch and mellow her accent. She knew the importance of her voice if she wanted to have authority among men. I'd say it worked pretty well for her
BODYPUMP is a static program like teaching a class of students or doing a power point presentation. The most powerful tool we have to create contrast is our voice. How we say things is more important than what we say. I could tell you that you smell and your pants are on fire with a smile on my face and a high pitched voice. Chances are you would smile back at me because you didn’t hear the words but the intonation. Every 3 months we launch the new programs for Les Mills at the YMCA. These Kickoffs are great fun and highly anticipated by the members. Some of today’s music can be offensive to members. I usually get to teach these tracks because people don’t hear the offensive lyrics or language when I teach unless I want them to.   
I have five voices when I teach to match the highs and lows of the material or music.
1: CONVERSATIONAL- In the low parts, talking with the class. It’s friendly and easy on the ear. It’s natural but would be boring if that was all I used.
2: BUILD - To create anticipation and excitement and let the class know they need to listen.
3: BIG – To power and motivate.
4: INTENSE – A strong challenging focused voice that’s success and results oriented but not aggressive. It’s inclusive. Think ‘you can do it’ rather than ‘just do it’
5: SILENCE - Let the music or slide speak. You say it best when you say nothing, hold the silence, pause and breath. Most of us spend too much time talking about nothing. Then when you talk, talk to the class.
Have you ever gone to a class or presentation and found yourself bored to death. Not with the material but the presenter. There just isn’t enough coffee to save you from this person. They know all the material and you want to listen and learn. The power point is brilliant and yet it’s dull and you’re miserable. I guarantee you that the presenter spent long hours learning the material and putting the slides together but didn’t record themselves to hear how they sound to other ears. It’s something everyone who is going to stand in front of a class should do. Your voice won’t sound like you think it does. It can be shocking but it will make you better. Teaching and presenting is a Performance Art it takes practice and more practice to Master the powerful tool of your Voice.
Dora Meulman

No comments: